Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Keep the Art- Drop the Politics- Night at the Oscars


I enjoy the Oscars every year - I love movies and a good story and the Hollywood glam and what the actors will wear. I like to see when actors who win are humble and acknowledge others in their lives. Kate Winslet was a class act. Heath Ledger's family wonderful. Slumdog Millionaire amazing. However, I do not like it when actors use the Academy Award ceremony to push their political agenda.

Talk about art, talk about the movie making process, talk about people who helped you, talk about the privilege you had of being in the movie. Do not talk about politics which divide. The Oscars are a time to bring people together not tear people apart. I like Sean Penn but was very disappointed with his acceptance speech. Gus Van Sant the Portland director was not even mentioned by Sean.

I love the Academy Awards but wonder why certain actors and films are not nominated every year. What happened with Gran Torino and Clint Eastwood - what an amazing film – why was it not even given one nomination? I enjoy seeing the actors and the film makers walk the red carpet. I enjoyed the five pastor category winners talk about each of the nominees, which was something new this year.
Acceptance speeches are fun to watch and Kate Winslet has really grown as an actress from her Titanic days. Her speech was pure class, thanking the many people in her life, including her family. Slumdog Millionaire was a wonderful film and the winners were very humble as well. Penelope Cruz had a nice speech but the film she was in was terrible. Pure trash once again with women kissing women.

And, again, Sean Penn, though I think he is talented, I get tired of his politics and propaganda. Do not use a fun evening to push your political agenda on us. And, your wife standing by you. Can you thank her. She is a wonderful actress whom I loved in Princess Bride (Robin Wright Penn) and was not even acknowledged by Sean. He was too busy scolding the voters. Why the Academy succumbs to this is disappointing.

But, we keep watching and hoping for the best. Which is, focusing on art not politics. Hugh Jackman brought back art in his role as MC.

3 comments:

Fantastic Forrest said...

Interesting perspective. My mother feels the same way.

I thought Hugh did a fabulous job, and I LOVED the opening number - so funny and clever. Kate Winslet was indeed a class act.

My big disappointment of the evening was Best Supporting Actor - I thought Robert Downey Jr. deserved it. His performance was amazing. He even kept in character during the running commentary special feature. What an incredible actor, and bravo to him for turning his life around.

Honestly, he should have won in 1993 for Chaplin. I can't wait to see him as Sherlock Holmes!

Fantastic Forrest said...

I just listened to Penn's speech again. He does thank Van Sant.

You can see it here:
Sean Penn's Oscar Acceptance Speech

Cornelia Seigneur - Finding the Adventure in Motherhood and Life said...

Hi Holly- as always, you have good insight and I like the way you think about life. yes, Hugh did a great job as MC and thank you for reminding me that Sean did thank Gus- I am a Gus fan for sure - is it his Portland connection, his art-y films or his name :)

CampingHikingLakeWenatcheeArea

CampingHikingLakeWenatcheeArea
Hidden Lake

OUTDOOR ADVENTURE WITH KIDS

OUTDOOR ADVENTURE WITH KIDS
Cousins bicycling at Champeog Park

My Blog List