Tuesday, December 4, 2007

ADVENT SEASON

I love this, the Advent season, where we count down the four Sundays before Christmas, which began Sunday. We make an Advent wreath with four candles, and we lit our first one yesterday, and will light the others each week before the big day on the 25th. It is a fun tradition for our family, as we gather at the dinner table, light one of the candles and read from the Bible a verse related to the season. Yesterday we read from Isaiah about prophesy of the birth of Christ. It seems like not many people celebrate Advent, even in the church we attend, but our family has been, in a simple way, for several years now.
And one of the kids’ favorite Advent traditions is getting a 24-day German chocolate Advent calendar, that count the 24 days till Christmas Eve. I have a trick I learned -- buy an extra one – originally for me or my husband to be able to nibble on. But, it came in handy after our 4-year-old Augustin found my stash and talked me into allowing him to hold his for a while and give the other kids’ theirs early. A half hour later, it got quiet and when I came out of my office, there was my sweet brown eyed boy on the couch, smiling as brightly as the Christmas Tree lights – his tummy filled with every last one of those chocolates candies in the Advent calendar. And it wasn’t even December yet.

~ Cornelia Seigneur aka Nellie

www.writermom.net

www.myspace.com/corneliaseigneur
www.writermom5kids.blogspot.com

No comments:

CampingHikingLakeWenatcheeArea

CampingHikingLakeWenatcheeArea
Hidden Lake

OUTDOOR ADVENTURE WITH KIDS

OUTDOOR ADVENTURE WITH KIDS
Cousins bicycling at Champeog Park

My Blog List