Thursday, September 6, 2007

I GOT HAD

I GOT HAD - A LESSON IN READING LABELS BETTER!
By Cornelia Becker Seigneur aka Nellie aka WriterMom

The juice looked natural and appeared to be natural and even tasted natural and on the top this big label said, “100 percent” which I figured meant 100 percent juice, i.e. natural.
After a day or two in our fridge, my very health conscious 17-year-old daughter said to me, with a smile on her face, “Mom, you bought juice with only 25 percent real juice in it. The rest is flavored juice and corn syrup. I cannot believe you.”
I got had.
The words 100 percent caught me off guard as I usually look for the words 100 percent juice on the top, but must have somehow missed this one.
In another situation at a store, I noticed a yogurt container that said, “Lite” on it and I thought, great, lite is good, but when I read the ingredients it said Splenda Added.
Yes, I have been “had” when it comes to sugar content before. The labels are sooo misleading when they boast: “No Sugar Added” – because in reality there is FAKE SUGAR ADDED.
Just on Tuesday when we were at Baskin-Robbins Ice Cream store, I noticed a couple of ice cream flavors boasting No Sugar Added, but when you read the fine print, beware of the splenda, which I just do not like. I like natural sugar or none or light on the sugar.
Once I called Yoplait Yogurt Company to complain of their too sweet yogurt.
“Can you just lower the sugar content?” I asked.
Their solution? “Try our sugar free or lite versions.”
I countered, “But those have fake sugar in them. I just love your yogurt but I want less sugar in it.”
. . . I did not get had that time.

Have you ever been fooled by labels. . .share your stories. . .

www.writermom.net
myspace.com/corneliaseigneur

No comments:

CampingHikingLakeWenatcheeArea

CampingHikingLakeWenatcheeArea
Hidden Lake

OUTDOOR ADVENTURE WITH KIDS

OUTDOOR ADVENTURE WITH KIDS
Cousins bicycling at Champeog Park

My Blog List